Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ernst & Young Here I come!

This fall I am quitting my job and going back to school full time. I'm two years out from receiving my Masters in Accounting (if all goes well). I have my degree, but since it's not in business, I need to take some prerequisite classes before I'm able to apply for the masters program. I'll finish up all those classes by Spring of 2009 and plan to attend graduate school that fall. I'm taking the GMAT in June (this year) to give me time if I need to retake it if by chance my score isn't high enough (I'm hoping that is not an option though).

Sorry for all the background, but it's kind of the reason I'm so excited. Because I have already started to take classes, I got involved in the accounting club. The club has professionals come in to talk to the students and the professionals plan events for the students so they may get to know them better for recruitment purposes. Anyway, after a lot of events, I really liked Ernst & Young the best. The people seemed sociable and while long hours are required for a big four firm, there was still flexibility. The employees seemed happy with their work environment. Therefore, I was pushing to ultimately get a job with them. I was also excited not to have to spend every day in the office!

They have a summer leadership program that I blogged about a couple of weeks ago. It's a foot in the door and a step in the right direction toward a career ultimately. I interviewed for a position in the program (it's a two day program where you basically get to job shadow) and I found out yesterday that I WAS ACCEPTED! I had felt like the interview went well, but because it's such a competitive place, I still had my doubts. So it made my day to get that phone call yesterday! If my plan goes well, this opportunity will lead to an internship with them next summer and then a position as a staff member the following summer when I graduate from the master's program, so yay for me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! That is really good news.

Saria Butler said...

Thanks! I'm super excited about it!